Friday, February 16, 2018

[FSX] Pilatus PC6 Porter : On the road again (part 1)

With the new year comes the time to take off again after this 3 months long break. The plan for the following flights is to close the Falcon BMS chapter to open a brand new one.

Yet I need first to travel to a new theater. Thus the first flight will be a VFR navigation from Akrotiri LCRA to Gecitkale LCGK . This will bring me from the Greek part of Cyprus to the Turkish one. In the near future, I will have to cross that country to go to my final destination.

In order to make this flight more enjoyable, I will follow the coast line.

To carry out this flight, I will dust my old Pilatus PC6 Porter by Tim "Piglet" Conrad.

Obviously I will have to train a bit before going on travel with this plane. So I will start with remembering the check-lists, then I will carry out some circuit training and finally fill my tank up and leave for Gecitkale airfield.

1 - Check lists


First step in this training is to familiarize again with the check-lists of this plane. It has been a while since I haven't flown the PC6, I almost have to restart from the beginning.
My reference is still the document written by Scott Werner and available here.
Fortunately the Pilatus is really easy to handle and to fly and there are not too much systems to deal with. It should be long before I am able to fly it again...

Pilatus PC6
 After a short training, I have no difficulty in starting up the engine and taxiing to the runway threshold.

2 - Circuit training


Circuit at Akrotiri LCRA on runway 10 is right handed and should be flown at 1200 ft QFE.

Once aligned on the runway, I slowly push the throttle to full and then release the brake. The plane starts rolling as I keep the yoke full aft until 25 kts. Then I slowly release it. Decision speed is 45 kts and rotation 50 kts.
Once leaving the ground, I briefly press the brake to stop the wheels rolling. At 500 ft, I bring the flaps up and trim to keep on climbing at around 80 kts and 950 ft/m.

I check engine instruments perform the climb-out check-list.

Climbing out
Once at 1200 ft and above the sea, I turn right to enter downwind leg.

Downwind leg
A quick rest and it is already time to carry out the approach check-list. Decelerating from 90 kts to 70 kts

Landing speed is around 70 kts .

Once on the ground I push the throttle forward again and take-off for another circuit. In the same conditions.

Below is the record of my two circuits. Easy to see where the wind blows from...
Circuit training record
After landing again, I leave the runway and taxi to the refuel station to fill my gaz tank up so as to be ready for the next flight...

Refueling







No comments:

Post a Comment