Friday, October 20, 2017

[Falcon 4 BMS] Mirage 2000-5 : Operation Standing Wave, mission 2

Mission 2 : BARCAP over Zar'it


This mission is another BARCAP in the same area. The difference is that I'm going to be the leader this time.

The briefing is not that different from the previous one,
Briefing

Lead position on threshold

The first part of the flight was really quiet so I could take some pictures :

On the radar, the patrol we will take over

Flying over the shores

Smoke on the battlefield

Landscape

Landscape under my wing
But it seems it is not that quiet on the ground :




Finally we had 4 Mig 29 coming near our patrol area.



My wing-man immediately asked permission to engage. Which I gave her. Unfortunately, she fired all her missiles without hitting any of them. But all the patrol around seemed to come and the 4 hostiles were soon shot down before I even could acquire one.

There was nothing more to report during the flight and we got back home to debrief.


Despite apparent success of the mission, further analysis revealed that 2 Mig-29 could enter my airspace and shot down friend aircraft. I wasn't aware at all of their presence.
And this is the main point of it : situational awareness. It's the critical part of a mission and I was in a total lack of it.

I'll have to find out how to improve this !

No comments:

Post a Comment